I grow bananas and eggs so trying to find the perfect banana chiffon recipe is one of my homemakers goals.
I tried one yesterday from this website : http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Banana-Chiffon-Cake
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- Chocolate frosting or frosting of your choice
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil, water and vanilla; add to dry ingredients along with bananas. Beat until well blended. In another large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest rack at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert baking pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto serving plate; frost top and sides. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts1 serving (1 piece) equals 292 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 324 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Originally published as Banana Chiffon Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p18
I have to admit that this is not the cake I am looking for. Although tasty, something is off with this chiffon recipe. At first the egg yolk mixture was really dry and thick, not even a batter, but more of a dough. Then when I added in the bananas it did thin out. It may be my own fault, I mashed the bananas it called for but did not remeasure, it could have had too much banana. I like the flavor of the cake but not the texture I got. I wanted that fluffy tall sponge of a chiffon, and did not get that from this recipe. I am going to try a few other recipes I have found and maybe test and tweak this one again in a bit. I have a square chiffon cake pan, its a vintage novelty pan. I am still trying to decide if I like it.
Have you made a chiffon cake before? What is your favorite recipe for chiffon cake?